2014 Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York 3.98 GPA
2017 Birdland and the Anthropocene, Peale Museum, Baltimore, MD
2017 Solo Exhibition, The Universal Language of Birds, Ucross Foundation Art Gallery, Ucross, WY
2017 Picturing the Sublime, Thomas Cole National Historic Site, Catskill, NY
2017 2017 Titusville Art League Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Exhibition, Eastern Florida State College, Titusville, FL
2016 Solo Exhibition, 10,000 Birds, Grand Cru Beer and Cheese, Rhinebeck, NY
2015 Solo Exhibition, Once Upon a Feather, Enchanted Café, Red Hook, NY
2015 Postcards from the River, Thomas Cole National Historic Site, Catskill, NY
2015 2015 Titusville Art League Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Exhibition, Eastern Florida State College, Titusville, FL
2014 Solo Exhibition, 10,000 Birds are Enchanted, Enchanted Café, Red Hook, NY
2014 Solo Exhibition, Finding Bardland: What Does it Mean to Love a Place?, Fisher Studio Arts Gallery, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
2014 Marshlands Conservancy Annual Art Show, Marshlands Conservancy, Rye, NY
2017 First Place, Selman Living Laboratory Prairie Art Contest, Freedom, Oklahoma
2016 Featured Artist, 2016 Annual Board Meeting of the American Birding Association, Delaware City, DE
2016 Residency, Ucross Foundation, Ucross, WY (September 1-September 24)
2015 Second Place, New York State Sheep and Wool Annual Art Contest, Rhinebeck, NY (Juried)
2015 Residency, Ucross Foundation, Ucross, WY (March 2-March 27)
2012 John Bard Award for Excellence in Art, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
2018 Mural, The Landscapes of Sheldrake, Sheldrake Environmental Center, Larchmont, NY
2018 Logo, 22nd Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival, Titusville, FL
2017 Logo, 21st Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival, Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival, Titusville, FL
2016 Logo, 20th Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival, Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival, Titusville, FL
2016 Merchandise Artwork, Wolves of the Sky, Flight of the Raptor, Green Cove Springs, FL
2016 Artwork, Ruby-throated Shimmer, Hog Island Audubon, Hog Island, ME
2015 Logo, World Series of Birding 2016, New Jersey Audubon, NJ
2015 EP Cover Art, Wild Suburbia, Meadhowhawks, CT
2014 Merchandise Artwork, Casper, Flight of the Raptor, Green Cove Springs, FL
PUBLICATIONS AND ILLUSTRATION WORK
2018 Essay, In the Eyes of the Condor, for “When Birds are Near: Tales from American Birders,” edited by Susan Fox Rogers, Red Hook, NY (Forthcoming)
2018 Illustrations for “Taking Flight: a Birder’s Memoir,” text by Susan Fox Rogers, Red Hook, NY (Forthcoming)
2017 Illustrations and bird descriptions for “10 Common Birds of Ucross,” a field guide developed with Dr. Jaqueline Canterbury for Ucross Foundation, Ucross, WY
2017 Book Illustration, Nicobar Pigeon, for “The Fifty Most Amazing Birds in the World,” text by Professor Glen Chilton, Australia
PRESENTATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
2018 Presentation, “Bewitched: An Adventure through the Galápagos Islands,” Sheldrake Environmental Center, Larchmont, NY
2017 Artist Talk, “Why We Need Birds,” Birdland and the Anthropocene, Peale Museum, Baltimore, MD
2017 Workshop and Artist Talk, “Birding Without Binoculars: Using Art and Nature Journaling to Create Emotional Connections with the Natural World,” The Universal Language of Birds, Ucross Foundation, Ucross, WY
2017 Workshop, “The Art of Hummingbirds,” Daniel Warren Elementary School, Mamaroneck, NY
2016 Workshop and Presentation, “Using Art and Nature Journaling to Understand the Birds Around You,” International Vulture Awareness Day community engagement with the Wyoming Girls School, Ucross Foundation, Ucross, WY
2015 Presentation, “Debunking the Phoenix: an exploration of the relationships between birds of myth, extinct birds, and living birds through art ,”Once Upon a Feather, Enchanted Café, Red Hook, NY
2013 Presentation, “Learning the Hudson River by Painting its Birds,” Thinking Like a River Conference, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
· Nick Spanos, “The Universal Language of Birds,” Buffalo Bulletin, May 31, 2017
· Kelsey Dayton, “Ucross’s ‘Universal Language of Birds’ Melds Science and Art,” WyoFile, June 2, 2017.
· Tyler Rogers with Tandem Productions, Radio interview, Sheridan Public Pulse, Sheridan, WY, June 7, 2017.
· Judy Hagerott, “Open Doors at Ucross for Unplug Families,” Sheridan Media, September 25, 2017
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Drawing 10,000 Birds ~ Founder, Owner, Artist, Environmental Educator
Art business developed with the goals of using bird art as a means to promote appreciation of birds and to raise money for their conservation. Other goals include combining art and birding to explore the emotional experience of interacting with nature. Successful initiatives include:
· Online community gallery hosted on www.drawingtenthousandbrds.com inviting submissions of bird related art.
· Public outreach to include community in The Universal Language of Birds. Over fifty artists of all ages submitted bird art to be included in the exhibition and participated in birding and nature journaling workshops.
· Local workshops held in libraries and schools that focus on using art as a means to emotionally connect to birds.
· Over $400 raised for bird conservation through the sale of bird artwork.
Sheldrake Environmental Center ~ Environmental Educator
· Develop and run curriculum for summer nature camp programs with elementary and middle school children
· Create curriculum for and teach after school clubs for elementary school children.
· Lead nature walks and give in-class presentations specifically tailored for public school curriculum
Nature is Awesome Tours ~ Art Workshop Instructor, Guide
· Develop and lead art workshops to supplement bird tours
· Help participants locate birds while teaching them about the bird life and ecosystems of the area.
Montgomery Place, Historic Hudson Valley ~ Landscaper, Interpreter, Naturalist
· Maintained historic gardens and trails, typically working independently for long hours.
· Explained garden composition to visitors while helping them identify plants and wildlife around the property.
· Conducted bird surveys to create a list of birds that bred or migrated through the property.
· Developed and ran birdwalks and nature journaling workshops.